Re: dvd film and K3b

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:22:58PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well certainly the 'unable to open' needs fixing.
>
> The format of a DVD is VERY picky since many dvd players don't actually
> read the filesystem (which is UDF) but just the location of the first
> file is fixed at the start of the disc and contains block offsets for
> the remaining contents.
>
> Of course copy protected movies have to be dealt with first before you
> can even read the data.
>
> Look for 'dvdbackup' package.  vobcopy merges the files rather than
> leave them in the original format.

Also perhaps useful:

For burning something like this should work on the output of dvdbackup:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video /path/to/files

-dvd-video is the mkisofs option for making UDF filesystems in DVD
order.  -dvd-compat I believe turns on DAO mode and finalizes the disc
and makes sure the leadout is far enough in and all that stuff.