Re: dvd film and K3b

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:24:18PM +0100, martellif@supereva.it wrote:

> I did a dvd film backup using K3b dvd data option resulting now in dvd
> I'm not able to play using common dvd player such mplayer or xine. I
> tried vobcopy without succes.
>
> I'm running Debian Sarge amd64 unofficial port however I don't think
> that problem it's platform related.
>
> Is there a way to play that dvd film? I tried to play using m$ windows
> apps (don't remember which) and that works grrrr.
>
> Here xine output:
>
> starting xine:
>
> frank@darkstar:~$ xine
> Questo ???? Xine (X11 gui) - un riproduttore video libero v0.99.3.
> (c) 2000-2004 Il team di Xine.
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
> libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
>
> quitting xine.
>
> Here vobcopy output:
>
> darkstar:~# vobcopy -i /dev/hdc
> [Hint] You use -i. Normally this is not necessary, vobcopy finds the
> input dir by itself. This option is only there if vobcopy makes trouble.
> [Hint] If vobcopy makes trouble, please mail me so that I can fix this
> (robos@muon.de). Thanks
> [Error] Please don't use -i /dev/something in this version, only the
> next version will support this again.
> [Hint] Please use the mount point instead (/cdrom, /dvd, /mnt/dvd or
> something)
>
> path to dvd: /dev/hdc
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> name of dvd: K3b data project
> libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
> [Error] Can't open VMG info.
> darkstar:~#
>
> Any help or pointing to url is very appreciate I googled a lot :(
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well certainly the 'unable to open' needs fixing.

The format of a DVD is VERY picky since many dvd players don't actually
read the filesystem (which is UDF) but just the location of the first
file is fixed at the start of the disc and contains block offsets for
the remaining contents.

Of course copy protected movies have to be dealt with first before you
can even read the data.

Look for 'dvdbackup' package.  vobcopy merges the files rather than
leave them in the original format.