Re: dvd film and K3b

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 20:24, martellif@supereva.it wrote:
> I did a dvd film backup using K3b dvd data option resulting now in dvd
> I'm not able to play using common dvd player such mplayer or xine. I
> tried vobcopy without succes.
>
> I'm running Debian Sarge amd64 unofficial port however I don't think
> that problem it's platform related.
>
> Is there a way to play that dvd film? I tried to play using m$ windows
> apps (don't remember which) and that works grrrr.

First question:  does it play on a standalone DVD-player?

I have a TV-recorder which used DVD+RW and DVD+R discs, and I have discovered
that it is possible to copy a "keeper" recording from +RW to +R just using
K3B to generate an ISO image.  The resulting disc plays fine in my recorder
and in standalone DVD-players.  I have noticed that play-only machines have
trouble with +R discs from my recorder that are not yet finalised, but K3B
seems to finalise the +R.  I guess that because +RW is rewritable, it can
finalise after every programme, then just "un-finalise" the disc when it is
time for the next recording.

One amusing thing is that when the recorder is playing a +RW disc and stopped
mid-programme, not at the menu, then it will record the title, chapter and
frame somewhere on the disc so you can resume playback from the same point --
e.g., if you swap discs to record something else then put back the one you
were watching, the moment you hit PLAY it will start again from that point.
Copying the +RW onto a +R copies absolutely everything.  So I have a few
discs that never start at the beginning, and need to be stopped and
restarted, simply because I did not realise what was happening!

Another thing I noticed is that the files on the DVD+RW do not seem to
correspond in any way with programmes recorded.  For example, on a disc with
all six episodes of "BlackAdder II", I find only five files; and when I try
to view them individually, the starting points are not the starts of the
individual episodes.

So I can't find any obvious way to separate recorded programmes.  I could get
around this is by just recording from my portable DVD-player to the recorder
using the AV-cables, but of course this is lossy {as the information is being
compressed twice} and it takes just as long as it would take to watch the
programme.

I am sure there must be a way to extract just one programme from a DVD+RW and
burn it to another disc, so that I can keep episodes of the same series
together on the same disc, in order  {maybe with the advertisements omitted
into the bargain; though my recorder has the ability to add chapter markers
anywhere, so I just need to place one at the end of each advert-break before
copying, then hit "next chapter" to skip the adverts}.  Has anyone any
suggestions?

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk