Re: RAID

On 11/10/05, Albert Dengg <a_d@gmx.at> wrote:
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_Array_of_Independent_Disks

I just got to read that most excellent article and it raised one
question about the theoretical configuration:

RAID 1 or 0?  It said that 0+1 would mirror two RAID 0 arrays - very
useful, if I only had 4 disks...  So, since I'm only getting two, I
just wondered whether RAID 1 really has the ability to give
performance increase similar to RAID 0.  Since I'm going to get two 80
Gb SATA150s, I  don't want to sacrifice performance, since eventually
the machine will become my webserver (yay!) though I'm still not sure
I'll need that much performance... but nevertheless it doesn't hurt to
be prepared.

So in more clear and less confused words, does RAID 1 really share the
advantages in speed of RAID 0?  I'm just a little skeptical, and I'd
like to know if there's any testimonies of people that have actually
had the chance to find out.