Re: nvidia (graphics) driver pain

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

Well as I said, the nv driver does not have problems with some fb
drivers, while nvidia driver always does.

Well, frequently but not always: I administer a bunch of amd64 workstations
and all of them have nvidia graphic cards, use the nvidia driver _and_ the
vesa fb, built into the kernel and selecting a well defined vesa mode at
boot. I never experienced a problem with this. Maybe I was just lucky. On
the other hand, I could not use the same setup with my amd64 laptop: if I
try it boots flawlessly, but the vesa graphics modes are not compatible with
my lcd display, therefore I get a blank screen until kdm starts, and the
console is unusable. The nvidia driver _is_ incompatible with the nvidiafb
driver, though.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.