Re: Installing amd64 on Adaptec 2015S (SmartRAID V) with dpt_i2o

Neil Gunton wrote:
> Thanks Kevin, I had not seriously considered this option yet, in part
> because this is a tightly packed 1U case, with no space for an IDE drive
> inside. So I guess I could try an external USB drive enclosure - would that
> work? Is USB generally well supported for installing and booting up off of
> these days?

I'm not certain that USB is supported for booting/installing.

What I typically do for rackmounts, is not to bother mounting the
temporary drive in the enclosure. With the case out of the cabinet, I
rest the temporary IDE drive on top of the drive cage with the lid off
of the case. Most of the time, I'm done with the installation and
copying within an hour or two.

You can also use this for cloning an installation. Install your
desired base system on an IDE drive, then rest that drive on or inside
the case of the new system. Boot off the IDE into single user mode
then copy the system onto the mounted internal drives of the new
system.

Kevin

> Actually, I think I may have a 2.5" external drive enclosure sitting around
> in one of my drawers, with a 20GB hard drive from my old laptop. If I
> remember correctly, it has two USB connectors, because it gets all its
> power from USB and so needs two ports. Should that work for installing?

Might work. Would depend the Debian installer would install upon a USB
drive and if your BIOS could boot off of a USB drive. If either of
those doesn't work, you can probably remove the IDE drive from the USB
enclosure fairly quickly and connect it via IDE (serial or parallel,
depending upon the drive) to your motherboard.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
kevin@rosenberg.net