Problem creating filesystem

Hi all:

I joined this list a while ago, but signed off about 3 months ago. I don't want to ask something that has already been addressed, but I have searched the internet, and searched the debian-amd64 mailing list archives, and have not found an answer.

The problem I am having is trying to create a filesystem with Debian SID on a drive on the secondary IDE.

I get I/O errors and then lose contact with the drive while it's creating the filesystem.

Here is my system info:

amd64-2:~#uname -a
Linux amd64-2 2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 #1 Fri Jan 28 04:54:33 CET 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

amd64-2:~# dpkg -l | grep -e e2fsprogs -e util-linux
ii  e2fsprogs      1.37-2         ext2 file system utilities and libraries
ii  util-linux     2.12p-4.0.0.1. Miscellaneous system utilities

amd64-2:~# ls -al /sbin/fsck.*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  16136 Mar 23 05:31 /sbin/fsck.cramfs
-rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 148200 Apr 10 16:41 /sbin/fsck.ext2
-rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 148200 Apr 10 16:41 /sbin/fsck.ext3
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  26792 Mar 23 05:31 /sbin/fsck.minix
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      7 May 11 14:36 /sbin/fsck.msdos -> dosfsck
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    413 Jan  5  2005 /sbin/fsck.nfs
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root root 295496 Oct 16  2004 /sbin/fsck.reiserfs
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      7 May 11 14:36 /sbin/fsck.vfat -> dosfsck

The drive I'm trying to create a system on is a Maxtor 120GB. It's identical to the master boot drive already installed and working fine. I installed, formatted, and configured without issue using the Debian SID ISO net install disc. Again, the system boots fine, the primary disk is fine. The problem is the disc on the secondary IDE.

Here's what happens:
1. Physically install the disk. IDE1, slave. CDROM on master. The BIOS recognizes them both.
2. Boot and use fdisk to create partitions.  Works fine.
3. While creating filesystem, it loses contact with an I/O error, and then I lose contact with the drive.

If I reboot, I can see the drive again. And see the partitions previously created.

Here is what I have tried:
o disks: tried single drive on IDE1 (no CDROM) master. No help.
o filesystems: reiserfs, ext2, and ext3. For ext2/3, it creates the inodes fine, but then errors while trying write the superblock.
o upgrades:
tried upgrading e2fsprogs; it forced to upgrade kernel to amd64 2.6.8-11. Fine. Booted. Tried again. Same error. o loading live version of ubuntu (2.6.10 kernel) and partitioning/mkfs with it. Didn't help.

I heard that this was a kernel / e2fsprogs issue, so I also tried upgrading the kernel to amd64-2.6.11 but the e2fsprogs would then not upgrade without removing the 2.6.11 kernel and replacing with 2.6.8-11 version.

Here is my apt/sources.list
deb http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

The kicker is that I have to identical systems. I ordered hardware X2 many months ago when I originally set these up. I have one set up and working. And on that one, I installed a drive on the secondary IDE, (60 GB WD) and it partitioned and created a file system just fine.

I'm ready to think the drive is physically damaged, but 1) it's a new drive, and 2) I get the same problem with another drive.

I'd like to stay in the apt-get install environment if at all possible, but if there is certainty I could get around the problem by installing the latest kernel source and companion progs and compiling myself - I'd do it. I just can't be certain of that at this point.

Thanks for any insight into this problem.
Bill