Re: Installing amd64 on Adaptec 2015S (SmartRAID V) with dpt_i2o

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:48:54AM -0700, Neil Gunton wrote:
> I do build in initrd and cramfs, I have been through menuconfig a few times
> now and selected everything that looked remotely relevant.

kernel sources from kernel.org do NOT support cramfs initrd's.  Debian
kernel sources has patches for that.

I don't actually know if the installer uses ext2 or cramfs for the
initrd.

> Sorry, but I don't really understand that last sentence, could you expand
> some more please?
>
> "The initrd has to be rebuilt for the kernel from the debian-installer
> package". Surely if I built the kernel and did the mkinitrd using the
> modules from that then we should be ok?

The installer has it's own initrd containing kernel modules and other
things needed for the installer to load other files from the CD.

The installer boots the kernel, loads an initrd and runs with that
initrd as the root filesystem while the install is running.

> "... and the udeb's rebuilt using another Debian package" - I don't
> understand this

Making an install cd with a replacement kernel involves a lot more
updates than just the vmlinuz file.

> Ok, that would be nice! Although, I would like to be able to do this
> myself, so perhaps I will try to get the actual Debian kernel source and
> see if that has better luck. Let me know if you get a working iso...

Well you need to take an existing netinstall image, replace the kernel
image file on the cd, replace the kernel udebs on the cd, replace the
debian installer base package with one that looks for your new kernel
name, and the packages files have to be rebuilt to match those new
files.