Re: RAID controllers

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:13:10AM +0900, ????????? wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I have been done some benchmark with areca and 3ware9500.
> I used my own benchmark program which issue sequeuntil read and write
> request.
>
> Result :::
>
> 1 ~ 10 client :  roughly areca is better than 3ware about 15%.
> 10 ~20 client : almost same.
> 20 ~ client : 3ware performance is stable, but areca is not draw stable performance graph.
>                    I think that areca raid driver is not matured

That's right, the Areca driver needs work (Christoph Hellwig pointed
out some issues), but Andrew Morton already put it in the -mm tree so
it gets testing.

> Test Environment :::
> kernel 2.4.27 stock
>           2.6.12 stock

I hope you didn't compare a 2.4.27 3ware kernel against a 2.6.12 areca
kernel, cause in that case you're also comparing the networking, nfs,
xfs, and block level code.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --