Re: Acer Turion laptops

Hallo,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:34:56AM +0530, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Anybody  knows what is  required to  install Debian  AMD64 on  on Acer
> laptops with Turion processor?
>
> A friend has been asking me for help; and will be doing it tomorrow; I
> do not want to be embarassed if the installation fails. :-)

I have an acer wmli5024 and hardware support is in pretty bad shape:

ACPI is a mess (no battery status! (great for a laptop) nor thermal,
only AC and buttons)

the keyboard starts working after a few key strokes

the touchpad is only recognised after rmmodding and modprobing psmouse
again

the 2.6.8 based installer did not recognise the ati chipset, thus no UDMA
(formatting 40G took one hour, installation was painfully slow with long
disk sync intervals)

the ati X700 is not recognised by XFree86 4.3, you have to mess with
proprietary drivers - or use latest Xorg from unstable (no 3D
acceleration then, though).

In summary this thing was a mispurchase, the first and last time I bought
something ATI based.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--