Re: RAID controllers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:23:05PM +0200, Jerome Warnier wrote:
> Anybody here has an experience with Sil3114 or Areca RAID SATA
> controllers?
>
> I'm wondering which one is best on AMD64, or if I stick with a 3Ware
> Escalade 8600 instead.
>
> I'm planning to use Debian Sarge, of course.

I haven't used any of them, but from what I have read, the 3ware drivers
are very mature and have been around for a while.  The Areca drivers I
suspect you have to compile and install yourself (making installing
somewhat more difficult on one).  The few benchmarks I have seen
indicate the 3ware is easily the fastest of them.

The Sil3114 is of course NOT a hardware raid controller.  It is
proprietary software raid, and really not recomended in general.  dmraid
is not well supported yet, which is what you would need to use that
stuff.