Re: Almost there

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:25:12PM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    Does it work with LVM2 now? That's about the only difference I'm
> aware of at the moment.

I think it might, but I haven't tried.  I run this way:

md raid1 ext2 /boot
md raid1 ext3 /
md raid1 lvm pv

Everything else like swap and all is inside the lvm.  I used to have non
raid but cloned partition for /boot (cloned with dd using a script)
since grub didn't support md raid at all until a few months ago, but now
it is much simpler.  Not having / in lvm just seems saner when you have
to recover anything after a disaster (like I had to this morning since a
power surge/failure/something rather badly corruted part of one of the
disks in the raid1 for /.  For some reason the secondary disk was fine,
but the primary had lots of corrupt data, so using knoppix I rebuilt the
raid using the secondary disk as the source drive and the system came
back perfectly.  No other power failure or event ever caused me problems
like this though.  So far ext3 has been great, while XFS seemed to have
no end of trouble when run on lvm on raid on sata here.  That was on the
32bit machine.  The 64bit machine had no problems at all.  Most of the
windows servers fell over spectacularly too when whatever the event was
happened.