Re: Dell PE 2850 and installation problem

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:27:40PM +0300, Leoman HEDE wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to installing Debian AMD64 on Dell PE 2850-Xeon 64bit.
> Debian not recognize my RAID controller because megaraid2 driver not
> take part in amd64 cd.
> I install debian in external USB storage and compile kernel 2.6.12
> with megaraid drivers.
> I edit menu.1st
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp Default
> root            (hd0,1)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
> initrd          /boot/initrd.img
> savedefault
> boot
>
> title           Kernel-2.6.12-Leoman-em64t-smp
> root            (hd0,1)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-Leoman-em64t-smp root=/dev/sda2
> ro console=tty0
>
> and re-install grub.
>
> I reboot to machine and boot loader says;
> VFS: cannot open root device "sda2" unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I think change device address.
> I try boot old kernel and add a this line;
> (hd2)    /dev/sdc
> (because attached two scsi disk on machine)
> and change menu.1st
> title           Kernel-2.6.12-Leoman-em64t-smp
> root            (hd2,1)
>
> re-install grub and reboot
>
> grub says; no disk and patition
>
> How can i resolve this problem?

Well I made a netinst image for someone that had a Dell SE 2850 (not PE)
since they needed a newer kernel to support their raid card, so I
updated the amd64 sarge netinst cd to have 2.6.11 kernel instaed.  After
that they had no problems installing on their machine.  Feel free to
give that a try if you want.  Changing from one disk to another after
installing may leave a bunch of files you ahve to update, so I am not
sure which one may have been missed on your system.

http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/

Good luck.

Len Sorensen