Re: Almost there

Mike Reinehr wrote:

Gary,

On Monday 18 July 2005 04:45 pm, Gary Hodges wrote:
Mike Reinehr wrote:
Gary,

On Monday 18 July 2005 03:31 pm, Gary Hodges wrote:
Frederik Schueler wrote:
Hello,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:22PM -0600, Gary Hodges wrote:
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
Make sure your boot-loader loads the initrd along with the kernel.
	There's no question that the initd is being loaded. That is what is
giving you the error message. All the drivers necessary to mounting the
HD have been loaded and it is attempting to mount the root partition and
switch to it.

Thanks for the reply.  I just went through the boot steps by hand and
I'm fairly sure initrd has been loaded.  Here is what one of my grub
menu options looks like:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0
initrd /initrd.img
savedefault
boot

When you were running Knoppix, did you actually take a look at /dev/sda2 to make sure that you had a root file system there? It should already have been mounted automatically by Knoppix and shown up on the desktop as an icon.
I just booted to Knoppix again to make sure.  Here is what I found:

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ df -h
/dev/root             3.4M   17K  3.4M   1% /
/dev/hda              696M  696M     0 100% /cdrom
/dev/cloop            1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /KNOPPIX
/ramdisk              2.6G  4.8M  2.6G   1% /ramdisk
/UNIONFS              4.5G  1.9G  2.6G  43% /UNIONFS
/UNIONFS/dev/sda1      89M  6.7M   77M   8% /mnt/sda1
/UNIONFS/dev/sda2     957M   88M  870M  10% /mnt/sda2
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/sda1
System.map-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp  initrd.img-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp
config-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp      lost+found
grub                              vmlinuz
initrd.img                        vmlinuz-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/sda2
bin   cdrom  etc   initrd  lib64  mnt  proc  sbin  sys  usr
boot  dev    home  lib     media  opt  root  srv   tmp  var

	If all else fails, you might have to boot off of a Knoppix cd & rerun
grub-install.
I have booted off a knoppix CD and tried running grub-install.  For
kicks I just went through the procedure again.  Here are the steps
performed while booted under Knoppix:

root@1[knoppix]# grub-install /dev/sda

Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

root@1[knoppix]# grub
   GNU GRUB  version 0.95  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
/grub/menu
.lst"... succeeded
Done.
When you did your initial install, did you create a separate boot partition? Grub, definitely, is finding it's boot files on /dev/sda1.

I did.  That is /dev/sda1.

What file system did you use when creating the root file system? Are you using a standard kernel, or did you compile your own? Was the initd created with the correct drivers to mount the root file system?

/dev/sda1 (/boot) is ext2 and all the other partitions are ReiserFS. I'm using the standard kernel included with the debian installer. Note that I'm not using what is considered to be the stable installer, but a daily build I found somewhere. It is build 7-6-2005. The stable installer doesn't see the on-board NIC. I believe all the installers are using the same kernel (2.6.8-11). I don't know if initrd was created correctly. Is there a way to test it?

There's basically two possible problems, here. Either grub is not looking in the right place for your root file system, or it is, but initd is unable to mount it. As Sherlock Holmes used to say, "When you've eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however, improbable, must be the answer!" ;-)

Thanks for the comments!

Gary