Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On 7/5/05, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca) wrote:
> > Many packages/programs have hardcoded paths in them which will look in
> > /usr/lib and not in your new directory.
>
> Then they're busted and need to be fixed.

I guess you first have to explain how it do better. Assume you have
two glibc versions, one in 32bit and one in 64bit. They both need to
load locale plugins. The path is hard coded because there is not
really an alternative. Environment variables may not reflect the
process architecture. Configuration files just move the problem by one
level. And the PATH/LD_PATH does not contain the plugins, because they
should not be user visible.

I have one or two ideas how this could be solved, but it is definately
not easy.

Thomas