Re: Now that I have working box, any problems with LVM?

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 10:38 +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> I would appreciate that very much. I'd give me something to build on.

My steps after building a new kernel package are:

1) back up /boot/grub/menu.lst
2) comment out or move aside /etc/ld.so.conf
3) run ldconfig
4) dpkg -i your new kernel image and module images
5) /usr/local/src/lvm/LVM2.#####/scripts/lvm2create_initrd/lvm2create_initrd -c /etc/lvm/lvm.conf 2.6.#.# {= new kernel version you just installed}
6) replace normal ld.so.conf, re-run ldconfig
7) The package-created menu.lst will be useless. Discard it, and extend
the backed-up menu.lst to include the new kernel, as follows:

title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11.11 Default
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 lvm2root=/dev/mainvg/rootlv ro
initrd          /initrd-lvm2-2.6.11.11.gz
savedefault
boot

Note the root, indicating whatever your non-LVM /boot partition is, and
the root and lvm2root kernel arguments, as well as the initrd (of
course.

I wasn't aware of /dev deadlocks re: LVM2, but haven't tried snapshots
or pvmove. Makes me more dubious about my own install. Frankly, if
Goswin strongly advises something, it's a good idea to take the
advice.  :)

It's a shame if the feature's not ready for prime time yet; the root FS
is one of those places where the added performance and flexibility of
LVM2 can really be nice to have...