Re: fam problems

Adam Skutt wrote:
Graham Smith wrote:

I, as I am sure many of your do, suffer from the "fam problem". Basically it goes like this: I will be working away quite happily, I go to open a file and fam hits 100% cpu load and never stops. This has happened with all my Debian boxes (testing and unstable on i386 and pure64).

One easy way to try this is to hit a mounted remote file and not have portmap running. famd will go into 'D' and never leave.

Use gamin instead.  FAM is dead technology.

However, interesting, even though gamin is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for FAM, I've had it break with courier-imap before.

Adam

LOL. This goes from bad to worse. I ran

apt-get -u install gamin

and got

  libgamin0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fam libfam0c102
  gamin libgamin0

which I thought "yeah great that looks about right, Gamin really is a drop in replacement for fam". Just after it got the packages though apt comes back with the stuff below (a list of about 100 packages that depend on libfam0c102). Correctly me if I am wrong here but I thought apt was supposed to resolve dependency issues _before_ installing and removing packages.

dpkg: libfam0c102: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 kaboodle depends on libfam0c102.
 ksnapshot depends on libfam0c102.
 kmoon depends on libfam0c102.

Anyway, should I re-install libfam (fam doesn't depend on libfam for some reason) or will the gamin libraries act as replacements? I have tried a couple of the applications on the list and they seem to still work but maybe I haven't tried any of the bits that actually rely on libfam yet :o)

Thanks, Graham

PS Is there some technical reason why none of the Debian mailing lists don't set the Reply-To header?