Re: gcc version issue trying to install vmware5

tony mancill <tony@mancill.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk> writes:

>>>I did that to start with (kept it that way), but the vmware compile
>>>didn't like that, a very good error msg told me to change the s-link, so
>>>I did.  It then worked.
>>>
>>>Setting env CC probably works for most things.
>>

>> Changing the link breaks your debian system.
>
> Perhaps you could elaborate on this.  What specifically is broken about the
> system if gcc -> gcc-3.4?  My system has been setup this way for over 2
> months and there haven't been any adverse side-effects that I'm aware of.

The default compiler is gcc-3.3 and everything in debian uses that. If
you use anything that needs gcc then you end up with the wrong
compiler. Not everything checks like vmware does to make sure it has
the right one.

> I tried updating it using alternatives, but seemed to lose the preference
> everytime I did an apt-get upgrade, I'm pretty certain this is because the
> "gcc" package insists that gcc -> gcc-3.3.

And rightly so.

If you must then create a /usr/local/bin/gcc. Debian won't overwrite that.

Or create a /usr/local/bin/kernel/gcc and add /usr/local/bin/kernel/
first to your path only when building kernel modules.

> I'd much prefer to set an environment variable as well, but it's going to
> require a deeper understanding of the module compilation subsystem of the
> 2.6 kernel.  Both CC and HOSTCC seem to be ignored.

Did you export it?

MfG
        Goswin