POSIX RW locks (pthread_rwlock_wrlock) issues on amd64/sarge 64bit.

Hello,

I've tried a bit to google for the report of the problem I'm seeing on my amd64 box with sarge amd64 port installed, but I've not been able to find anything and so I would like to ask directly you on this mailing list.

I do have amd64 box with relased sarge/amd64 installed. I'm using gcc-3.4.x from debian package and I have multi-threading application which strangely blocks on the call to pthread_rwlock_wrlock function. The problem is, I'm 100% sure the lock is not hold by any reader, so wrlock should succeed and continue w/o blocking. I'm also sure that this software shouldn't be buggy in this domain, since it happily runs in 32bit chroot of sarge compiled by the same compiler (just 32bit inside chroot) and also it runs well on 64bit solaris10 compiled by sunstudio10 compiler into 64bit executables.

So what I see, is that some small number of calls to pthread_rwlock_wrlock is succesful and then next call to this function block forever.

Has anybody seen this before? If not, I may try to isolate some simple as possible testcase for your duplication...

Thanks,
Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  kgardas@objectsecurity.com