Re: MD5 mismatches on downloads from ftp.de.debian.org

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Bob Proulx wrote:

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
* Adam Lackorzynski

| The mismatches come from an incorrect resync after the archive move. The
| contents of the files itself were actually ok.
| To fix the archive I've placed a little script in the root directory
| that wgets the corresponding files as rsync won't do it due to same time
| stamps and sizes. You could also just remove them and resync.

From man rsync:

       -c, --checksum
              This forces the sender to checksum all files using a
              128-bit MD4 checksum before transfer.  The checksum is
              then explicitly checked on the receiver and any files of
              the same name which already exist and have the same
              checksum and size on the receiver are not transferred.
              This option can be quite slow.

I would be concerned that using this feature may place a high load on
the rsync server.  Especially if it were used by many clients.  But
with the Packages file and the md5sums there a local comparison can
identify non-matching files using only compute resources on the
client.  However, I am sure you were suggesting this as a single use
to correct a once occurring problem.

Indeed, this is why I disallow it on most of my mirrors due to abuse. There is one host that rsyncs with -c on cdimage.debian.org::debian-cd every night, if allowed. I do take that "refuse option" out on request, so if anyone wants to do a -c against my mirrors, just contact me first.

That is, on cdimage.d.o/farbror.acc.umu.se, bach.hpc2n.umu.se and
ftp.acc.umu.se/ftp.se.d.o/ftp.gnome.org/se.releases.ubuntu.com/ftp.eu.mozilla.org

/Mattias Wadenstein