Re: Using Alioth Opteron net install to config MD raid1

Ashley Flynn <ash@damit.com.au> writes:

> Hi all
>
> Trying to install daily build of sarge from 19052005 on to a RAID 5 system.
>
> I am using the businesscard netinst image. I am using

What image exactly? Alioth does not have a May 19th businesscard image
so I'm a bit confused.

Do you mean the image from cdimage.debian.org?

> http://debian.csail.mit.edu/ as the mirror and "testing" as the
> version.
>
> Root "/" is RAID 5.
> /boot is just on a standard ext3 partition.
>
> I am using expert install.
>
> No matter which kernel option I choose after getting all the packages
> I get the following error when the installer gets to "apt-get -y
> install kernel-image....":
>
>     dpkg: warning, architecture 'amd64' not in remapping table.

That would imply you have a dpkg prior to amd64 support (which would
not even build for amd64). This kind of can't happen.

> This message spams up the third terminal screen infinitely and the
> installer hangs.
>
> I can get it back by going and killing the hung "apt-get -y install"
> process.
>
> After I do that I get the message:
>
>     /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine SCSI module
>     Failed to create initrd image.
>
> I do not know if what I see after I kill the bad process is significant.

No, after the kill mkinitrd is bound to fail horribly. Ignore
everything past the kill.

> If I do not use a RAID root partition, the system installs fine.

Huh? Having root as raid or not changes the dpkg capabilities? Sorry
for the disbelieve but this would be one freakish bug.

If I weren't using raid5 myself (not for / though) I would assume
raid5 was broken and caused file corruption or something.

> System specs are:
>
>     Tyan Dual AMD M/B
>     2x Opteron 250 CPUs
>     SATA HDDs
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

No ideas apart from being speachless. Doesn't look like an straight
forward bug and fix.

> Thanks
>
> Ashley

MfG