Re: Using Alioth Opteron net install to config MD raid1

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

>Do you realy want swap as raid1? It is unlikely that the system will
>live through a disk failure with ide disks anyway. Most of the time a
>reboot is required if not even unplugging the broken disk.

Not true. It depends on the type of disk failure. Most of the disk
failures that I've had dealt with the drive grinding to a halt or some
other mechanical thingy in the drive breaking. Software raid detects
that (cannot read drive) and kicks the drive out. The admin can then
spin down the drive, etc.. (hdparm).

Modern IDE drives are quite good at detecting their own failures.
Virtually all have S.M.A.R.T. just like SCSI. Of course, SCSI is still
more reliable than IDE :)

- Adam