Re: Using Alioth Opteron net install to config MD raid1

Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk> writes:

> I'm using an Alioth net install CD to put Debian onto a new dual opteron
> PC using 2 SATA drives.
>
> I'm getting confused during the drive setup process.....
>
> What I'm wanting to do is use the raid 1 setup with each disk having 3
> partitions (as in a workstation install):  root, swap, home.
>
> How do I setup md to work with these partitions?
>
> I seem to be able to use EITHER the 3-partition structure OR the RAID 1
> structure (the install puts 1 ext3 partition into the RAID1 device).
>
> Can I do what I want to with this install?
>
> If I am not able to change these options, can I at least change the ext3
> file system to an XFS system?  (I think XFS is cool!)
>
> --
> Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk>

You can't use a preset scenario for that but have to go the manual
way. There you have to first create 3 partition on each disk and then
setup raid on those partitions.

Do you realy want swap as raid1? It is unlikely that the system will
live through a disk failure with ide disks anyway. Most of the time a
reboot is required if not even unplugging the broken disk.

Also consider using lvm on raid. My suggestion is:

disk 1
  part 1 - 200 MB raid 1 /
  part 2 - swap
  part 3 - rest raid 1 LVM

disk2
  part 1 - 200 MB raid 1 /
  part 2 - swap
  part 3 - rest raid 1 LVM

LVM
  /var - 1 GB (more if you want squid or similar services there)
  /usr - 2-4GB
  /home - rest - 2 GB
  2GB <empty space> to enlarge /var or /usr or for snapshots

/tmp - tmpfs

MfG
        Goswin