Re: Using Alioth Opteron net install to config MD raid1

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 07:15:23AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Except those cheap IDE controlers on most home systems tend to lock up
> completly or otherwise crash in those cases very often.
>
> At least that is my experience over the years. But then I don't have
> much expensive and shiny new equipment or much experience on the new
> stuff I have (since it is new, hasn't failed yet :).

I know on promise 202xx controllers I have never had a problem if a
drive died, it just flagged as dead in /proc/mdstat, and I scheduled
time soon after to replace the drive and rebuild the mirror.  System
didn't mind what so ever.  Not sure how onboard ide controllers deal
with it.  The SATA ones I have dealt with seemed ok with drive failures
although I haven't had any real SATA fialures yet, only me pretending by
yanking the power to a drive.