Re: Using Alioth Opteron net install to config MD raid1

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:55:33PM +0100, Rupert Heesom wrote:
> Thanks for your comprehensive reply!
>
> Using your post, I've managed to configure my raid 1 MD devices.  I am
> interested though in doing LVM later. I have done LVM in earlier days
> but without MD in the mixture.
>
> Is it possible to add LVM into my config when I need it.  The partitions
> I've created are:  /boot, swap, / [root].

You would have to somehow shrink / to make room for a partition to use
for lvm.  I tend to put swap inside the lvm since it saves a partition
entry and makes resizing swap much simpler later (just swapoff,
lvmresize the swap volume, mkswap, and swapon again).

Once you have lvm, you can just about move things around as you wish
inside the lvm since you aren't limited by start and end positions on
the drive anymore the way partitions are.  You still have to deal with
the filesystem resize at the same time as the volume is resized but
there are tools that handle that for you.