Re: GA-K8NS Pro-939 sata not detected

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:11:33PM +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> Every time I have tried to set up grub, it was either a big pain or
> not possible at all. So I would recommend to use lilo when possible.

How odd, grub installed flawlessly on an Asus A8V with two WD SATA
drives on the via controller and just worked.  It saw the drives as sda
and sdb of course.  The DVD writer is on primary master PATA.

Maybe the BIOS could be configured differently (certianly the case on
the intel SATA controller where setting it wrong causes all sorts of
havok with linux and sata.  It wants native enhanced mode, not
compatible mode.  Of course this also makes installing windows imposible
without a floppy to load the native sata driver, but it seems like the
right mode to run sata in.  Fortunately I don't need windows.  My A8V
doesn't even support emulating PATA from the SATA connectors).