Re: GA-K8NS Pro-939 sata not detected

Hello David :)

Thank you for reply.

> Where does it hang? Grub is actually more powerful than lilo, and you may
> well be able to tell it which drive to boot from where you're "hanging" --
> that is, if grub is the problem, rather than the SATA driver.

I used d-i, followed instructions, everything went fine, instalation of
grub and than (first) reboot. After reboot I got bios, something which
is now out of screen, than PCI Device Listing....
and finaly
Verifying DMI Pool Data.....
_

^
this is a blinking cursor and in this moment, the computer does not show
any other activity. It does not react to the keyboard.

I have also tried to install with 1 old IDE disk. But I get the same
situation after reboot.

This leads me to the hypothese, that the problem is actually with GRUB
seting (as you also suggest).

Unfortunately I do not have much experience with grub, I have used lilo
so far. Thus I am not sure, what other info would be needed for solving
this problem.

> Note that if you added an IDE drive or your SATA drives yourself, the
> BIOS may map the drives differently than linux -- grub reads the boot
> devices from BIOS. I ended up resetting the CMOS with onboard jumpers,
> though this is likely not required in your case. grub will also let you
> remap drives from the BIOS value to the Linux value.

How do I find out the mapping (either for bios or for linux) ?
>From bios, I can get this information:

IDE Channel 0  Master WD-something
IDE Channel 0  Slave  Plextor DVDR
IDE Channel 1  Master none
IDE Channel 1  Slave  none
IDE Channel 2  Master S_ATA1-ST3120827AS
IDE Channel 3  Master none

Thank you once more for help.

Best regards
Michal