Re: Anyone tried the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe?

Ryan Senior wrote:

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 18:11 +0200, Kyuu Eturautti wrote:
Wesley J Landaker wrote:

On Friday, 04 March 2005 21:07, Kyuu Eturautti wrote:

Alois Zoitl wrote:
Hi,

i got this htin g yesterday and I'm not to glad about it because I
can not get the network running.
As far as I found out it uses also the sk98lin driver.
But the standard driver that comes along with the debian amd 64 cd
fails the installation.
After using an additional card I was able to upgrade to the gcc-3.4
tree. And after installing
the 2.6.9-9 kernel I could load the sk98lin module with modconf.
But I don't think its working.
I've hit the same problem on the same board. Running a freshly
installed pure64 sarge.

- the driver on the DFS cd states No adapter found
- the driver in 2.6.11 from ftp.kernel.org doesn't do anything -
modprobe sk98lin doesn't report anything on the console or dmesg.
modules are working, as I can load the 3c59x module without problems
for a temporary alternate nic
The sk98lin driver in the kernel doesn't work with this motherboard. Instead, you must use the one from:
<http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk9e21_lin.htm>

(The module is GPL'd, and AFAICT is the same driver as what is in the kernel, except MUCH MUCH newer... so who knows why it isn't in the main kernel tree.)

Yes, I figured as much, but as I also noted, it doesn't work either. Quoting myself:

- the latest driver from syskonnect.com fails during "Compile the kernel" when running install.sh, either expert or user mode. The install.log contains these errors:
-- In function 'sk98lin_resume';
-- error: too many arguments to funcion 'pci_restore_state'
-- a similar error for sk98lin_resume and function pci_save_state

If needed, I can provide more details.

/v\

I ran into these same problems when trying to install Sarge on my Asus
A8V and created a bug report
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=292445).  To get
around it, I downloaded an install disc from a couple of months ago.  I
don't remember which exact one.  The bug must have been introduced in a
later version of the kernel, because I was then able to get the network
card to work so that I could install the OS.  Then after the OS was
installed, I upgraded to the latest kernel and everything worked fine.
Thank you for the tip. I can now confirm that the A8V-E Deluxe onboard NIC will function with kernel versions up to 2.6.9 but not with 2.6.10 or .11. After I set up 2.6.9, I ran the install.sh script that came with the driver from syskonnect.com and generated a patch, which I applied on the kernel sources. The other installation options (expert and user) did not work. I tried all of the install options on 2.6.11, 2.6.10 and 2.6.9, and only 2.6.9 worked.

It seems I'm stuck with 2.6.9 for this particular motherboard. A newer linux driver is clearly needed from syskonnect / marvell. The nature of the errors (functions pci_save_state and pci_restore_state) might indicate functionality added in 2.6.10. I wouldn't know, I'm not a coder.

I hate saying it, but every time I buy an Asus motherboard, I face a lot of problems. It's happened now seven times in a row...twice this week alone. I guess this is what can be called human-hardware incompatibility.

/v\