Re: The future of the gcc-3.4 archive / Name change from 'gcc-3.4' to 'gcc4' Reply-To:

Andreas Jochens <aj@andaco.de> writes:

> Good evening Kurt,
>
> On 05-Feb-21 19:43, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:37:34PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
>> >
>> > Hopefully, the name change from 'gcc-3.4' to 'gcc4' will not cause too
>> > much trouble for mirrors and current users. For some time the old name
>> > 'gcc-3.4' should be still available as a symlink to 'gcc4'.
>>
>> If you can give us a warning of when exactly this is going to
>> change, that would be nice.
>
> I will do that, of course.
>
> If nobody else comes up with a different proposal and
> no other problems occur, I would like to change the
> name on 2005-03-15 (three weeks from now).
>
> Regards
> Andreas Jochens

As said in my other mail I can think of two ways:

1. move and link

2. build hardlink tree for gcc-4.0, wait a while, remove gcc-3.4 tree
and link

The first needs coordination with all mirrors or they will redownload
everything.

The second needs mirrors to preserve hardlinks (rsync -H) or create a
hardlink tree themself. So this would be more automatic for some
mirrors.

MfG
        Goswin