Re: Help with installation

monty_debian@bc.cx writes:

> I've been following the debian-amd64-howto and have elected to install the
> distro via the chroot method as I have a brand new machine with a blank
> hdd plus I need to boot with a custom 64-bit kernel because I need the
> kernel to have the Speakup screen reader compiled in.  (I'm blind)

Hi, I think you are the first blind person on debian-amd64.

For the i386 Debian-Installer there is an "access floppy" image for
blind people. I'm not sure what that entails (does it have speakup?)
but it would be good if you could test it and report back.

Building something based on that for amd64 shouldn't be too hard if
you are willing and able.

> Compiling the 64-bit kernel went OK and I am able to boot into a 64-bit
> environment as per the instructions in the howto.  I downloaded the
> sid-amd64-netinst iso and mounted it via loopback.
>
> I am not sure what to do next to initiate the installation process.  The
> howto indicated that there should be a debootstrap binary somewhere which
> I assume might get me on my way but I am unable to find a debootstrap
> binary anywhere on the iso.

I think the HowTo exclusively assumes you are already running a Debian
system, there you just run "apt-get install debootstrap" to get the
binary installed.

If you have an rpm-based system, you can use alien to convert the .deb
into .rpm, or download an rpm-ized version at
http://people.debian.org/~blade/install/debootstrap

Or, you can use http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html
Section 3.7.2 ff to install it manually.

> The main Debian Sarge installation manual talks about a base.tgz file
> containing an installation binary but I assume (possibly incorrectly) that
> this can't be used in this case because it would be 32-bit.

We don't generate a base.tgz for amd64 but instead the CD contains a
partial debian mirror that debootstrap can use directly. No unpacking
required.

> Can anyone please direct me to where the installation binary is and
> anything else I need to do if indeed this is what I need to get the
> installation process underway.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Monty

After installing debootstrap the following should work
(theoretically):

debootstrap --arch=amd64 testing /wherever/chroot file:///cdrom/

or directly from net without the CD:

debootstrap --arch=amd64 testing /wherever/chroot http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64

Hope that helped.

MfG