Re: Help with installation

Hello,

First off, thanks very much to Aritz, Goswin and Kurt for your thurrough
explainations regarding getting the pure64 distro installed via the
debootstrap utility.

I am definitely learning a lot about Debian and pure64!

Unfortunately ignorance on my part has caused me to run up against a wall!
In my original message I wrote that I had successfully compiled a 64-bit
kernel with speakup  patched in.  What I didn't realise at the time is
that I needed a toolchain for pure64  and needed to cross-compile the
kernel.  What I did was just compiled it using a reasonably old version of
gcc on my 32-bit Slackware environment and thought it would just work.
Whoops!  Surprise after rebooting with this kernel I am not able to
execute 64-bit binaries - including those installed by the debootstrap
utility.  In fact, the debootstrap utility crapped-out half way through
while it was trying to chroot and execute a 64-bit binary

Since the whole process of cross-compiling a kernel containing speakup
(involving toolchains etc)  seams quite complicated, I was wondering if
one of you kind sirs would mind compiling me a kernel containing  the
speakup  patch on  a 64-bit machine?

In case this list doesn't allow attachments, I've put the two necessary
files at the following URL's:

http://www.bc.cx/.config
http://www.bc.cx/checkout

The above checkout script when executed will check-out speakup from the
Speakup cvs and will patch it into the kernel tree.  You need to be in the
/sr/src/linux directory when you execute the checkout script.  Also, the
cvs password is "please".

The above .config file is for 2.6.9.  A "make oldconfig" will bring it up
to 2.6.10 if you prefer.  The version of the kernel doesn't much matter to
me.  I just need it to include speakup, a module for my via_velocity
network card, and I need the kernel to just be a standard bzImage/vmlinuz
file so I can use it in my initial Slackware environment.  The .config
file has all the necessary options set -  including speakup items and the
via_velocity option.

I would very much appreciate this if someone would be willing.  It will
save me a lot of time and grief!  Plus my knowledge of cross-compiling and
toolchains is a little weak!

My E-mail address (see header of this message) is able to receive large
attachments so please E-mail the kernel if you would.

Thanks in advance - I'll get there eventually!

Regards,
  Monty