Re: Help with installation

> Hello,
>
> I am having difficulty getting the Debian-AMD64 distro installation
> process underway and I am hoping someone might be able to help!
>
> I have been using the 32-bit Slackware distro up until now and my
> knowledge of Debian, and AMD64 arcutecture/distro is birtually
> non-existent.
>
> I've been following the debian-amd64-howto and have elected to install the
> distro via the chroot method as I have a brand new machine with a blank
> hdd plus I need to boot with a custom 64-bit kernel because I need the
> kernel to have the Speakup screen reader compiled in.  (I'm blind)
>
> Compiling the 64-bit kernel went OK and I am able to boot into a 64-bit
> environment as per the instructions in the howto.  I downloaded the
> sid-amd64-netinst iso and mounted it via loopback.
>
> I am not sure what to do next to initiate the installation process.  The
> howto indicated that there should be a debootstrap binary somewhere which
> I assume might get me on my way but I am unable to find a debootstrap
> binary anywhere on the iso.
>
> The main Debian Sarge installation manual talks about a base.tgz file
> containing an installation binary but I assume (possibly incorrectly) that
> this can't be used in this case because it would be 32-bit.

Hi!
If you already have a working 32 bit linux installation you must be
able to make a bootstrap installation of debian.

First you make the partitions you need on the disk, format them ,
format , initialize and activate the swap:
mkswap /dev/hdaZ
sync; sync; sync
swapon /dev/hdaZ

ant then mount the filesistem structure under any mountpoint:
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdaX /mnt/debian
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdaY /mnt/debian/boot

And so on, remember to use correct devices and filesistems.

Now with your slackware download debian package debootsrap (amd64
version), from any repository.

copy it to where you mounted root directory / of your debianAMD64
filesystem. (you can do this later)

first uncompress the .deb package with:
ar -xf debootstrap_0.X.X_arch.deb

(yes, the command is "ar"). This will extract a .tar.gz which contains
the basic filesystem and structure, extract them with tar -zxvf.

Now you have two options, download basedebs.tar from debian (go to
install section) or download them from internet, from any mirror.

To download debs from internet execute:
usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch ARCH sid /mnt/debinst
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/

where debinst is the directory where your debianamd64 root partition
is mounted, ARCH is the architecture (i supouse it must be amd64, or
maybe pure64).

Wait untill download and installation of packages complets and then if
you have you own kernel, install it now by hand (if you have a deb
package of your custom kernel, copy it to your debian filesystem.
chroot to debian (chroot /mnt/debina /bin/bash for example). Now
install your kernel.deb package. Create your /etc/fstab file (you can
create it before), mount proc filesystem (mount  -t proc proc /proc),
configure keyboard: dpkg-reconfigure console-data

And configure the nertowrk: edit /etc/network/interfaces, here's an example:
auto lo
     iface lo inet loopback

# If your netwrok has a dhcp server
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#if not
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.42
network 192.168.0.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

Now you can make use of network to install things. Like grub to boot
your machine (you can aslo use your current bootmanager to boot your
amd64 linux install if you want. But remember to edit the config file
of your lilo/grub file or you won't be able to boot you amd64
installation.

To configure time: /usr/bin/base-config
To configure locales: apt-get install locales

Once you have done all this, you can reboot to your newly installed
debian amd64. If you have any problems installing your custom kernel
and don't know how to make a debian package with it, you can send me
your .config file, the patch you need and tell me to which kernel
source tree it applyes, and i'll make the package for you. Once you
have the package, you can install it with dpkg -i
kernel-image-xxxxxxx.deb

You have more accurate info about how to install a debian system with
debootstrap in section 3.7 of the debian installer manual
(www.debian.org)

Aritz Beraza [Rei]
--
Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei]