Re: d-i fails to install: Tyan Thunder K8W, SATA Seagate Barracuda

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 16:36 +0100, Zsolt KOZAK wrote:
> On 2005-02-18 16:23, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
>

> >Unfortunately this didn't work. At the installer's prompt I tried
> >
> >linux devfs=nomount root=/dev/sda1
> >
> >but after loading the kernel it fails with
> >
> >VFS: cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block (0,0)
> >
> >I'm afraid the kernel at this stage doesn't see the drives as "sda".
> >

> Check your kernel messages during booting, and find out how it sees your hard disk. If it can see your hdd as sda, you just need the number of your root partition... It might be 0 or 2, not 1 :-) Which partition is your root partition?

It's hard to see the messages flying by the console. Once the kernel
freezes there's no way to scroll up. I'm going to try different names,
just guessing. I will also try a different "rescue" CD. At this moment
I've been using the d-i CD only.

Something I did was to boot up with the d-i installer, mount all the
already existing partitions, exit to a shell, "chroot /target", and from
there try to force the Grub install. After typing "setup (hd0)" at the
grub prompt this is what I got:

Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0) ...
  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded.
segmentation fault.

Weird, "succeeded" followed by "segmentation fault". Anyways, it didn't
work either.

Thanks,

--
Pedro