Re: d-i fails to install: Tyan Thunder K8W, SATA Seagate Barracuda

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 01:30 +0100, Zsolt KOZAK wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 2005-02-17 22:12, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
>
> >The other machine does much better. The full installation is done
> >without problems, grub is in theory installed, and d-i reboots the
> >machine to finish up the job. However, the machine doesn't reboot
> >properly. It hangs with a blank screen and a blinking cursor on the top
> >left.
> >
> Your grub was installed inproperly... I had the same problem...
>
> 1. Try to boot with a boot disk (you may try to use your Debian
> installer CD with the following kernel parameter: "devfs=nomount"), just
> set your root to your root partition on your hard disk. E.g. root=/dev/sda1
> 2. After a proper booting, install grub again. Check this page fore
> reference: http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_3.html (Install
> GRUB natively section)

Unfortunately this didn't work. At the installer's prompt I tried

linux devfs=nomount root=/dev/sda1

but after loading the kernel it fails with

VFS: cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block (0,0)

I'm afraid the kernel at this stage doesn't see the drives as "sda".

> > Attached you will find the GRUB menu.lst file created by the
> >installer. I noticed the line "root (hd0,0)" on each kernel entry. I
> >changed that to (sda,0), chroot /target, and run update-grub. It didn't
> >work.
> >
> hd0 means the first hard disk (I think master HDD). It does not depend
> on the type of the disk. So you have to use "hd" without reference to
> you whether you have a sata or ide interface.
>
> (hd0,0) means first hard disk, first partition

OK, thanks.

--
Pedro