Re: d-i fails to install: Tyan Thunder K8W, SATA Seagate Barracuda

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 10:56 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> "Pedro Sanchez" <psanchez@nortel.com> writes:
>
> > 1. Initialization of large partitions fails at one point or another. d-i
> > just freezes when it gets to about 88% of a 180 GB ext3 partition. The
> > hard drive actually remains *very* busy but the installer progress bar
> > stops moving forward. No way around this, just reboot the machine.
>
> How long did you wait?

Over 3 hours in my wildest attempt to get this going! In fact I was
afraid the hard drive was going to fail. I tried several times to
initialize a large partition. Nope, that doesn't work.

This morning I tried again, from scratch. On my first attempt the
installer gets to 32% --> Reboot --> second attempt gets me to 68% -->
reboot --> third attempt, 63%. I waited 15 minutes in each case.

I think I got to 88% when I was trying a smaller partition, like 140 GB.
80 GB seems not to be a problem. But the installer freezes in the first
machine after it finishes with the partitions.

> mke2fs will write a lot of data to the disk and at the beginning it
> all goes into cache (and jumps right up to 88% ?) and then stalls when
> the cache is full and the disk has to actualy write it.
>
> Check the 3th + 4th console for kernel errors too.

No errors in the consoles.

3th console
File descriptor 6 left open
  No volume groups found
  Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while ...

4th console
main-menu[1232]: DBUG: virtual package harddrive-detection

That's it.

--
Pedro