Another strange thing is that my last partition on the sata drive (170gigs) was almost full when it was used in my previous mythtv machine (kernel 2.4 with some sort of pata emulation, not on nforce3 but on intel hardware) and now the partition has 74Gigs of empty space. I wonder if there is some 138G barrier as Manuele tells.

Later,

GoM

Le 16 févr. 05, à 13:56, Zsolt KOZAK a écrit :

Hi Guillaume,

I've just noticed your problem on debian-amd64 list. I've just installed a new Debian system and I've run into this problem also.... Nforce3 motherboard, SATA discs (2 200G Seagate). Hvae you got any solution? Or do you have still the problem? What about driver developers? I noticed you cc-ed them into your messages.

best regards,
Zsolt

On 2005-02-15 23:38, Guillaume Laurčs wrote:

Thanks for your help Jeff.

During my experiments I plugged an unpluged the drive numerous times. I also tried another SATA cable, but same thing. Even on the other motherboard SATA plug. I closely examined the drive and it seems right. like new in fact. The motherboard is even newer, and so is the cable.

Is your idea consistent with the fact that the drive is _alays_ recognized in the bios, and _always_ recognized in linux ? All the time it fails with the messages "nv_sata: Primary/Secondary device removed" a few seconds after the console promt is displayed. Sometimes I have the time to mount the drive, sometimes not even.

Later,

GoM