Re: AMD64 installation problem

prousa@caetec wrote:
For my first installation attempt I used the 125MB netinst iso (2005-01-24 I think). Installation worked quite fine with that one exception that it had no networking modules and no support for [reiserfs | ext3 | xfs ] so I had to use ext2 which I really don't like for a desktop system. But after installation I was able to boot it up using grub which was installed at the last step of the installer.

I boot from a dos partition with loadlin. I never loose a kernel.

When I installed from scratch about two months ago they did have a
choice of the file system at least including my choice for ext3. If
there is a free partition then you could make a new file system there
and then mount the partition and copy -a. The first step is to get a
working reboot. Changing from ext2 to ext3 is easy without reinstalling.
See the tune2fs man page.

Then when installer finished it reboots the system but now grub won't start, it only gives me a dead loop of the line Grub loading stage 1.5 repeating again and again.

Rule #1. Always have a rescue disk handy. I have used the Debian From
Scratch DFS disk. There are several 64bit kernels so try them all! The
netinst CD might work in rescue mode. Follow the instructions.

Hint #1. Build a custom kernel as soon as rebooting. Grab the kernel
sources and at least build in the boot drivers like the SATA in your
case. No modules at all is the easiest. See the Debian AMD64 HOWTO:
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

I have a VIA chipset so maybe somebody with the nForce4 can comment.
I would go back to the netinst iso as long as that works. Be sure to
vary the choices in the installer for the type of filesystem to make in
your partition and see if there is the right option.

.