Re: bug reporting?

Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> Now the questions: should I use the standard debian bug tracking system to
> report amd64 bugs? I am uncertain, since it is not (yet) an official port.

A good concern.  Depending upon the bug I compare with ia64 or alpha
which are an official ports.  If it is a bug in the 64-bit port from a
32-bit system you can report it as such against all of the 64-bit
architectures.  Otherwise I file it as a normal bug, no higher.  Most
package maintainers understand the issues of amd64 being only an
unofficial port and still want to see their packages work on all
platforms.

> In the meanwhile, the second question: did anybody (try to) install a
> slave nis server on a pure64 and get it to transfer the nis maps from a
> debian x86 nis master server? Did anybody actually _succeed_ at it?

Hmm...  I could probably try it two weeks from now but no sooner.  :-}

> Problem description: when I run
>
> /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s <my_master_nis_server>
>
> on the wannabe pure64 nis slave server, I get something like:
>
> Transferring passwd.byuid...
> Trying ypxfrd ...rpc.ypxfrd doesn't support the needed database type
> call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Can't decode result
>
>  (failed, fallback to enumeration)
>
> which is replicated for each and every nis map. The above occurs also each
> and every time I start the nis server/daemon using the provided
> /etc/init.d/nis script. If I replicate the configuration in the 32 bit
> chroot and run the 32 bit ypinit and/or server/daemon, everything runs
> smoothly.

Does smell like a 64-bit problem from your description.

> Any hints, suggestions (apart from abandoning nis, which I would if I
> could, but I cannot...)

File that as a wishlist bug.  :-)

Bob