Re: bug reporting?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:41:07PM +0100, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> Problem description: when I run
>
> /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s <my_master_nis_server>
>
> on the wannabe pure64 nis slave server, I get something like:
>
> Transferring passwd.byuid...
> Trying ypxfrd ...rpc.ypxfrd doesn't support the needed database type
> call to rpc.ypxfrd failed: RPC: Can't decode result
>
>  (failed, fallback to enumeration)
>
> which is replicated for each and every nis map. The above occurs also each
> and every time I start the nis server/daemon using the provided
> /etc/init.d/nis script. If I replicate the configuration in the 32 bit
> chroot and run the 32 bit ypinit and/or server/daemon, everything runs
> smoothly.
>
> Any hints, suggestions (apart from abandoning nis, which I would if I
> could, but I cannot...)

My suggestion is to analyse the exchange between your machine and the
master with a network analyser and spot the differences between both
(the 64bit run and the 32bit run).
Ethereal is the boss for this. Once you have got the differences, check
to the part of the code that is responsible for the encoding. The bug is
certainly there.

	Seb