Re: putting together pure64 and the 32bit chroot...

Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> 1) Which filesystems ought to be bind-mounted in the chroot? /home, /tmp,
> /var/tmp are quite obvious, but what about /var/mail? Configuration files
> in /etc?

I see no need to bind mount /var/mail or /etc and reasons against
doing so.

Are you really needing users to run in the chroot?  I just use it to
manage the software installed there.  From outside the chroot you can
run the 32-bit binaries.  Only a small number of them, such as
openoffice, actually require the chroot.  Try this:

  /emul/ia32-linux/bin/ls

Should run fine.  (If not check /etc/ld.so.conf and make sure your
paths include the /emul/ia32-linux directories.)  Which means you can
set PATH to include the 32-bit chroot and just run them normally.

  PATH=$PATH:/emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin:/emul/ia32-linux/bin

> 2) (related to 1) In many cases, a system user and/or group is created
> upon installation of a package. These will obviously happen to be
> different between the chroot and the pure64 system. Should /etc/passwd,
> /etc/group etc. be shared between the pure64 and ia32 systems?

Packages that add users are generally system packages such as postfix
or apache.  Do you have a specific example in mind?

But bind mounting password, group and shadow could be useful to make
sure all users have logins in the chroot in the case that you have an
application that requires the chroot, like openoffice.

> Any problems to be expected in this case? Or should I compare the
> uids/gids in the chroot to the ones in the pure64 system and get
> them to agree by hand, using something like find to locate and
> change file ownerships accordingly?

Personal preference, but that is more likely what I would do for the
specific cases that needed it.

> 3) I suppose (hope?) I am not the first to do something like this. People
> who went through it already (and survived): hints, suggestions?

Confusion and education are the two biggest problems.  Most people do
not understand chroots.  It confuses them.

Bob