Re: K8S Pro (S2882UG3NR) + Sil 3114 (Raid 1) + Sarge

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:04:48AM +0900, Nils Valentin wrote:
> just read your reply once more. Just for the records: Iam looking for hardware
> raid. I already ahev Suse Linux up and running and actually just want debian
> to be able to access the drives the same way (after the reboot). That is
> (without the hardware raid) basically a typical dual boot setup.
>
> Shouldnt there be a Driver for the Sil3114 Controller ? I know that Tyan makes
> the drivers for Suse and Redhat. I was hoping that perhaps a nice driver
> developer is reading this and spend a few hours of devoted motivation to get
> this done ;-)
>
> Best regards

A SiS3114 is NOT hardware raid.  It is software, just secret proprietary
software.  If you want hardware raid with open source drivers, you have
to get a 3ware card or a scsi raid card.  Those are the only choices at
the moment.  Other hardware ide/sata raid cards exist, but not with open
source drivers that I am aware off.

Lennart Sorensen