Re: Buying a new workstation

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:30:42AM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> I have a Tyan Thunder and used to use 2.6.0 with the sii-ide patch.
> Doing a grep -r on any decent-sized filesystem was guaranteed to
> cause a dma timeout (lost interrupt) with sii-ide.
>
> In mid January, Jeff Garzik posted a patch (on the linux kernel list)
> to 2.6.1(-mm2?) that added 3114 support to libsata.  I haven't had any
> trouble since I started using libsata with his patch. I would imagine
> the patch was incoroporated into the mainline 2.6 by now.
>
> --
> Joe Schaefer

The libata driver for SiliconImage ist still marked as broken. Here the
mail from Jeff:

"Note that (speaking technically) the SII libata driver doesn't mask all
interrupt conditions, which is why it's listed under CONFIG_BROKEN.  So
this translates to "you might get a random lockup", which some users
certainly do see.

For other users, the libata SII driver works flawlessly for them..."

I've had lockups with libata very often. The IDE driver works fine for
me (with the patch).

Johannes

--
Hey, das war doch überhaupt nicht witzig.
Wieso steht das jetzt in den Fortunes?