Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:32:44PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > alioth is massively out of date - isn't this where we started?
> >
> > Its between woody and sarge currently. Afaik the only thing stopping
> > everything currently is libc. The rest is just things for the future
> > and to make porting easier. You can follow the renaming scheme for now
> > if you insist.
>
> Can you clarify a little bit for me, as my brain seems to not quite
> grasp...
>
> This autobuilder that you have, and the repository on alioth, in what
> ways, if any, does it differ from a "pure" 64-bit userland?

A bunch of packages are i386 debs. A lot of libs are installed for
i386 and amd64 and the build toolchain can produce 32bit and 64bit
binaries.

> I gather that the libraries are going to /lib64.  Are there any 32-bit
> binaries in the system?  If so, which, and could they be replaced?
>
> I am trying to determine if it would be useful for me to run my own
> autobuilder and repository.
>
> -- John

The existing archive is a good starting point. After that look for any
i386 deb and eliminate them one by one from the end of the depends
chain inwards. That means recompiling them all which grows the archive
by many packages.

The first package to port would be gcc I guess and the last libc6. If
you want to do this get an account on alioth. After that I can add you
to the debian-amd64 group (if I figure out how) and give you write
permissions to a pure 64bit repository (initially filled with the
biarch repository).

MfG
        Goswin