Re: Concerns about AMD64 port

Tony Hoyle <tmh@nodomain.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > You can already do that starting with the repository from
>
> > alioth. Thats what we all do. If you are a developer you should not
> > have problems setting up a chroot and add any libs you need.
> >

> alioth is massively out of date - isn't this where we started?

Its between woody and sarge currently. Afaik the only thing stopping
everything currently is libc. The rest is just things for the future
and to make porting easier. You can follow the renaming scheme for now
if you insist.

> Also there are far too many problems with it... there are only a

Well, tell me details. Any bugs in the faq?

> handful of libraries converted (which don't include many of the ones I

You can convert more. Patch the source and upload it to incoming. The
amd64 autobuilder will be running more regulary from tomorrow on.

> need), and there are circular dependencies etc.  that can't be
> resolved easily (essentially you have to abandon apt to get it
> installed at all).  It's been unchanged now for 6 months while people
> argue about the difference in meaning between ABI and Architecture.

Never abandon apt. That path leads to despair.

If you see a depends problem with sarge on alioth tell me asap. Thats
ment to be functional at all times. The same doesn't neccessary apply
to sid there.

MfG
        Goswin