Re: new X server doesn't find input devices

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:51:47AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Perhaps a stupid question, but does it then follow that the Xserver
> "AutoAddDevices" functionality depends only on things entirely
> within X?  That would at least narrow down the target audience for a
> bug report...

Never mind: I misunderstood.  X has been using udev for some time
(rather than hal/dbus).  There are several existing debian-bug threads
concerning this issue, which is believed to be resolved by upgrading
udev, which we (Alpha community) are not quite ready to do until a few
newly-implemented syscalls make it into the mainline kernel.

Two workarounds suggest themselves: disable AutoAddDevices (the easy
option, and what I'm currently doing) and use the legacy "kbd" and
"mouse" devices, or build a custom udev from current source.

--Bob