Re: new X server doesn't find input devices

On 10/10/11 07:18, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I see the following I think I remember
> seeing in older X server releases:
>
> [    59.191] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
>         If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
>
> Unfortunately, both keyboard and mouse are dead after "gdm" starts.

Try a minimal xorg.conf.  Essentially remove everything in it.

> The
> good news is, I can login remotely and stop "gdm", after which the
> keyboard is once again operational.  Could very well be a "udev" issue.
> I remembered seeing the warning about upgrading to udev_172-1, so after
> apt-get did the upgrade, I replaced "udevd" with the patched 166-1
> version that doesn't rely on the missing/unimplemented Alpha syscalls.

I think udev 166-1 should work fine.  I had xserver 1.11.1-1 working.

> If kernel version 3.1.0-rc9 has the syscall patches I saw posted here
> earlier, I'd be happy to try the new "udevd" and see if that makes a
> difference.

The syscall patch has been picked up by Andrew Morton but it has not yet
been applied to the kernel.  Once in the kernel we will need to also
recompile glibc.

> I'm using a minimal "xorg.conf" file that hasn't changed since February
> of 2010.  The two "InputDevice" sections are as follows:

Remove all InputDevice sections---that may be needed to allow the
Xserver to use udev to look for input devices.

That's a general principle for anyone who has been continually upgrading
a much older install for some time.  Reduce xorg.conf to practically
nothing.  The Xserver now autodetects (via udev) all devices.

Cheers
Michael.