Re: new X server doesn't find input devices

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 07:57:47AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 10/10/11 07:18, Bob Tracy wrote:
> > Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I see the following I think I remember
> > seeing in older X server releases:
> >
> > [    59.191] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
> >         If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
> >
> > Unfortunately, both keyboard and mouse are dead after "gdm" starts.
>
> Try a minimal xorg.conf.  Essentially remove everything in it.
> (...)
>
> > I'm using a minimal "xorg.conf" file that hasn't changed since February
> > of 2010.  The two "InputDevice" sections are as follows:
>
> Remove all InputDevice sections---that may be needed to allow the
> Xserver to use udev to look for input devices.

Weird thing about this is, "lshal" clearly shows the attached PS/2
keyboard and mouse input devices.  Yet, the X11 "evdev" driver either
isn't getting loaded, or doesn't see the input devices.  Looking in the
/dev/input/by-path directory, I see the expected symlinks for
platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd --> ../event0
platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse --> ../event1
platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse --> ../mouse0
platform-pcspkr-event-spkr --> ../event2

Tried getting rid of xorg.conf entirely.  Discovered existence of
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and all the files it contains by default.
No difference as far as getting a working keyboard and mouse.  So, I
whipped out the "nuclear" option:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"AutoAddDevices"	"false"
EndSection

This allowed the standard "kbd" and "mouse" drivers to load, and I now
have a working Xserver.

Dunno...  Something in the hal <--> dbus <--> udev chain might be broken,
or maybe the mechanism Xserver uses to access what hal knows about isn't
quite right.  Regardless, the workaround enables the desired/expected
Xserver behavior.

--Bob