new X server doesn't find input devices

Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I see the following I think I remember
seeing in older X server releases:

[    59.191] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.

Unfortunately, both keyboard and mouse are dead after "gdm" starts.  The
good news is, I can login remotely and stop "gdm", after which the
keyboard is once again operational.  Could very well be a "udev" issue.
I remembered seeing the warning about upgrading to udev_172-1, so after
apt-get did the upgrade, I replaced "udevd" with the patched 166-1
version that doesn't rely on the missing/unimplemented Alpha syscalls.

If kernel version 3.1.0-rc9 has the syscall patches I saw posted here
earlier, I'd be happy to try the new "udevd" and see if that makes a
difference.  Otherwise, here are the relevant package versions, and if
anyone has any suggestions on how to get keyboard and mouse working
again, thanks in advance for providing them:

xorg:		1:7.6+9
xserver-xorg:	1:7.6+9
xserver-xorg-core:	2:1.11.1-1
xserver-xorg-input-all:	1:7.6+9
xserver-xorg-input-kbd:	1:1.6.0-3+b1
xserver-xorg-input-mouse:	1:1.7.1-1+b1
xserver-xorg-video-all:	1:7.6+9
xserver-xorg-video-ati: 1:6.14.2-2+b1
xserver-xorg-video-radeon:	1:6.14.2-2+b1
dbus-x11:	1.4.16-1
udev:	172-1 (except for "udevd" as mentioned above)

I'm using a minimal "xorg.conf" file that hasn't changed since February
of 2010.  The two "InputDevice" sections are as follows:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
EndSection

Bob Tracy          |  "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit
rct@frus.com       |   upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin