RE: Upgrading Sarge to Etch - failing to boot new kernel

Hi,

the best is to not use the (I call it "deprecated") old-style linux device names. Use /dev/disk/by-uuid/.... for the specification of the root filesystem (each filesystem has a unique ID assigned on creation). Alternatively assign a name to the file system using tune2fs/e2label and specify as /dev/disk/by-name/...., so it has a nice name. The management of the symbolic links in /dev is done by UDEV which is booted by the initrd.

Here is my aboot config of the kernel line on my AlphaStation (should be similar with MILO):

0:2/vmlinuz ro initrd=/initrd.img root=/dev/disk/by-label/root

These directory listings are dynamically created by UDEV, so you should prefer these ones. Recent installations of Ubuntu (not sure if also Debian) automatically use them:

thetaphi@alpha:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/ insgesamt 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10  8. Jun 07:27 boot -> ../../sda2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10  8. Jun 07:27 root -> ../../sdb1

thetaphi@alpha:~$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ insgesamt 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10  8. Jun 07:27 09311049-3762-4d4d-877e-a4b02a4db4f1 -> ../../sdb1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10  8. Jun 07:27 b8c0bb84-297a-44e5-b83e-d7aa1e352248 -> ../../sda2

If you have multiple network cards it's also a good idea to assign static names using UDEV configuration based on their MAC address, ethX is ugly :-)

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de