Upgrading Sarge to Etch - failing to boot new kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian on my 164LX with AlphaBIOS. Since the newest DVD I can boot from MILO (I'm using the one provided on the Woody DVD) is Sarge, I installed it and begun upgrading to Etch (as advised in the Lenny readme). I've done a clean, default install of Sarge. Then I upgraded to the 2.6.8-4 kernel from the Sarge DVD and it worked without problems. What I've done to upgrade to Etch:

commented out Sarge CD in /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-cdrom add (with the 1st Etch DVD)
aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
aptitude install initrd-tools
aptitude install linux-image-2.6-alpha-generic
shutdown -r now

At this point I can't boot the system with MILO. I'm trying to do it with a command similar to the one I used to boot the 2.6.8-4 kernel:

boot sdb6:vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-alpha-generic initrd=initrd.img-2.6.18-6-alpha-generic root=/deb/sdb7

Disk is partitioned to the Sarge default structure.
sdb5 is the space reserved for aboot (empty)
sdb6 is /boot (ext2 - MILO is not able to read ext3)
sdb7 is / (ext3)
sdb8 is swap

It seems MILO loads the image, but then fails to boot (it displays bootfile=<some odd characters>.

Any hints how to start it?

Best,
--
piotrek